Make Your Home Beautiful
Our shutters are an attractive window covering and here are numerous compelling reasons to opt for plantation shutters over curtains or blinds.
Shutters have a clean look to them and are very appealing and easy on the eye. In addition, many home buyers find shutters a deciding factor when comparing potential homes which can make your investment pay off in the long run.
Why Choose Shutters?
- Durability. Custom interior shutters are durable,built to last and never go out of style. You won’t need to replace your shutters every few years, therefore your initial investment will pay off over time. If you calculate the cost of your shutters on a yearly basis, you may find that they are less expensive over the years than having to replace window coverings such as curtains or blinds periodically. Additionally, all our shutters come with a 5 Year Care Plan Guarantee.
- Aesthetics. Without a doubt, interior shutters are attractive. They come in a variety of sizes and finishes as well as numerous options. As an interior design choice, you can’t go wrong by selecting wood plantation shutters. They fit in with just about any décor and offer a clean, cohesive look throughout the home. You can choose painted finishes for a traditional look or go for a natural hardwood stain. Remember that plantation shutters are seen from both the interior of your home as well as the exterior, so expect some shutter envy from the neighbours.
- Privacy. Our shutters have a lot of privacy built-in. You can adjust your shutters to let the light flow in, yet keep prying eyes out. This allows you to have privacy as well as light. If you angle them in such a manner, you can even see out, but others won’t be able to see in. And we can design your shutters so the higher louvres open and close independently of the lower ones, ideal for bedrooms.
- Easy to clean. Interior shutters are virtually maintenance-free. We recommend the use of a feather duster once a week or so. You may need to give them a wipe with a damp cloth from time to time (usually annually). You don’t need to take them down in order to clean them as you would with other types of window coverings. A quick wipe down is all you need. Just take a little care and never force the louvres apart. The shutters have a larger surface area than blinds making them much easier to clean. And you don’t need to take them to the dry cleaners like you would with curtains.
- Energy savings. Shutters are excellent insulators as well as perfect for deflecting sunlight. Your energy bills will be lower when you have shutters installed. In the winter, the shutters provide an added layer of insulation. During the summer, you can adjust the shutters to deflect the sunshine so the rooms don’t heat up. According to a report from Glasgow Caledonian University, shutters increased the thermal performance of historic windows by 51% – great news for energy efficiency.
- Child safety. Plantation shutters are inherently child safe and do not have dangling cords or strings that children can get tangled up in, making them a safer alternative to blinds and many curtains. Shutters will give families with small children peace of mind. Shutters are a much safer alternative.
- Ventilation. Want to let the fresh air inside yet maintain your privacy? Not only can you adjust the plantation shutters for maximum privacy and light control, you can open up the windows, let the air flow in, and then adjust the shutters for maximum ventilation – all without compromising your privacy. While you can do the same with blinds, they tend to blow around and rattle. Solid plantation shutters don’t have this problem. Shutters are the ideal choice because they make no noise. In addition, shutters are easy to adjust. Simply hold the tilt rod (or louvres if you went for the hidden option) and adjust the louvres.
- Shutters can help preserve the life of your furniture and carpets. You can leave the shutters in the up or semi-closed position to direct the sunlight away from furniture and carpets. The UV rays of the sun cause materials to fade over time, which significantly affects their attractiveness and useful lifespan. In addition to fading, fabrics can degrade. By keeping your furniture shaded, it will last longer and remain attractive and durable for years to come.
- Noise pollution. Live on a main road or near a motorway? It goes without saying that fitting a layer of hardwood in front of a glass window is going to reduce noise. Solid hardwood shutters will absorb and deflect a high percentage of noise. Our shutters don’t eliminate noise but the difference is notable.
- Shutters can be used as room dividers or cabinetry. In addition to covering windows, shutters can also be installed over serving hatches and niches in your home. For example, if you have shelves in your chimney breast recess, consider using shutters as cabinet doors for an attractive new storage solution. Not only does this tidy the whole area up, it looks nice and blends into the rest of the home. Another idea is to use plantation shutters to form a stunning room divide.